And whosoever welcomes in my name one such child as this, welcomes me . . . . . . Y el que recibe en mi nombre a un niño como éste, a mí me recibe. Matthew 18:5

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Journey Begins


It’s hard to believe that it’s finally here!!! After weeks of excitement, running around like crazy trying to get everything done, tons of goodbyes, and many questions about what in the world I have gotten myself into, I have arrived in Guatemala. It’s hard to believe that one year ago today (well now that I'm posting this yesterday), the Feast of the Assumption, I was in Spain and excited for the start of World Youth Day, which was where I decided that I wanted to go to a Spanish-speaking country to do mission work. This same day many years ago St. Francis Xavier, the other patron of missionaries arrived in Japan, the same day that many years before he had departed from Portugal for India.

Today I arrived in Guatemala for six weeks of language school on my way to Honduras where I will spend the next two and a half years!!! Being far away from home hasn’t hit me yet. For one, I am still in the same time zone (until the US changes times, then I’ll be on central time). Secondly, I have been to Central America before and much of the things I have encountered in Guatemala so far are familiar to me- the language, the smells, the sounds, the rain, the cold (or at most lukewarm) showers, etc. Finally, I already had four new friends, the other missionaries going to the Finca (Farm of the Child) with me, waiting for my arrival. It's great to finally be here!!! Side-note: I sent out my first e-mail update today, if you want e-mail updates from me and are not getting them please e-mail me. 


Saints Therese of Lisieux and Francis Xavier, patron Saints of missionaries, pray for us!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you, Emily!! You're in my thoughts and prayers as you begin this next part of the journey of your life. <3 C.

    ReplyDelete